16 February, 2011

I got a big brown furry caterpillar

I don't even know where to start. Welton is 6 lbs. 6.25 oz. He is now on a low-flow cannula and getting 1 LPM. Last night, he was started on bottle feeding. Babies who are as premature as he was usually take quite a while to learn "suck, swallow, breathe," but Welton learned in about 2 minutes. 20 ml is what they usually take on a first feeding, but he took 65...15 ml more than his normal feeding. The occupational therapist recommended 2 bottle feedings a day, but the neonatalogist saw how well he did this morning (55 ml in 7 minutes) and changed his order to bottle feeding for every other meal. In the next day or two, he should be on total nipple feeding, and the nurse told me today he could go home in as little as A WEEK AND A HALF! Welt's primary day nurse, Shelly, said that in her 26 years in the NICU, she has never seen a 24-weeker EAT SO WELL!!!  His hernia surgery is scheduled for the 24th of Feb (and is usually done the day babies go home), so that could be the magic day! Welp, I couldn't be happier about his progress, but I'm nervous about mine. SO much to do!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

5 comments:

  1. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm almost done with my "baby shower in a box" so I'll try to get it mailed to you before you bring him home! :) LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A WEEK AND A HALF!!! WOOT WOOT! What do you need help with, let's get everything you need done. Put me to work sister! Seriously and you know I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this made me cry! Just tell me what you need, and I'm there girl. Whatever you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for good news and awesome baby Welton :)

    ReplyDelete