09 February, 2011

Sensitive Bum

Well, we know the baby hates sitting in his own poop.  When Ben and I went to see him tonight, we changed his diaper and took his temperature and got him ready to be held.  Once I had him in my arms, I guess he relaxed and "let loose."  We know he loves to poop while we hold him, but this was the first time he let it impede his ability to chill.  He wiggled and squirmed until I changed his poopy pants (in my lap!...he's small enough that's it's not too hard).  Once he was clean (and peed all over me and the pillow), he settled down, but still didn't want to sleep.  I think I mentioned before, but it's good that he is enjoying staying awake and that he is differentiating awake and sleepy time.  So, Ben and I played with him (we really just stare at him) for a while and then let him get some rest.

We heard from the doctor today about his vocal chords.  A nerve was damaged during baby's PDA ligation, and there's nothing that can be done.  He has an 80-90% chance of it resolving on it's own.  It will most likely last until he is 2 or 3, so we will have the strange blessing of a quiet-crying baby.  We won't have to work with the therapist for his speech, but he will need therapy to learn how to eat a special way.

We may have found the reason for Welton's swings in oxygen saturation. ACID REFLUX!!  He started Prevacid a couple days ago and his numbers are AMAZING!  Hopefully tomorrow they will try weaning his air pressure again.  His damaged nerve is also causing irritation which may be contributing to his inconsistency.

The surgeon will not be back until March, but the hernia surgery is usually done the day the baby goes home, so I won't go hunt down the guy.  If he can't get to him before it's time to come home, they gave us the option of going to Primary Children's Hospital to have the surgery done.  Ben and I have grown to love and respect these doctors and nurses and Utah Valley, so we think we are going to stay put.

My mom is set to come home as soon as we have the word that baby will be released.  I think (hope hope hope) my dad will come out too, and they're gonna try to make it to at least one session of conference.  Ali is going to come up, sans kids and husband, to spend some time helping me get grounded (and hopefully helping me make the baby's room look decent).

Ok, time to turn off the t.v. and get to bed.  Miles to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment